You can access your free copy of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and OneDrive) following the below steps:
- Login to your student email account on the device that you wish to install Microsoft Office on.
- Navigate to the Office 365 home page, and under Install Office, select 'Office 365 Apps'.
- A new window will open where you can select and install the operating system you require for your device/s.
- Once you see the message 'You're good to go' you can use Office.
- If prompted to sign in after the installation, please use your full USC email (firstname.lastname@example.org) instead of a product or license key.
- Although you can use the Microsoft applications offline, you will need to connect to the internet every 30 days for editing rights to remain active.
Please note, that although you can install Microsoft Office for free on up to 15 devices (including 5 Macs/PCs, 5 smart phones and 5 tablets), you are only able to install the applications on devices that you personally own.
Your student version of Microsoft Office is only available to use while you are a USC student, and although your installations of Microsoft Office will remain installed after you graduate, they will switch to read only mode. This means you will still be able to open and read all Office documents but you will be unable to edit them or create new ones.
If using OneDrive, you must remove all of your content out before you graduate. If you do not remove your content before then you will not be able to access it and it will be deleted.
View Free Microsoft Office for students for detailed instructions.
If you're still having trouble, visit Install Office on your PC or Mac for more comprehensive installation instructions and tips (particularly useful if installing on a Mac).
*You are also able to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote online versions through your preferred browser if you do not wish to install the desktop apps via your Office 365 Portal (office.com).